For a memorable honeymoon, all you need is love. And sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen.
Here’s the complete honeymoon packing list for couples, covering everything from absolute essentials to fun romantic extras.
Honeymoon Packing List: Romantic Extras
Whether your honeymoon is a three-night cruise or a two-week trek, it’ll be a trip you’ll always remember. So make it special! Sure, you can pay to have the resort dump some rose petals on your bed — or, you can plan ahead and pack a few things to make your honeymoon extra special. Ideas include:
- Tealight candles (if the hotel/resort permits them)
- Massage oils/essential oils
- A honeymoon playlist with special songs
- A heartfelt love note for your new spouse — or even several little notes to leave for him or her to find during your honeymoon
- Small gifts for each other
- A journal to write down your memories
Honeymoon Packing List: What to Put in Your Carry-On
Remember, your checked luggage doesn’t always come through (that’s why travel insurance is so important). Pack all your honeymoon essentials in your carry-on.
- Passport/driver’s license
- Credit cards: Did you call your bank to say you’ll be traveling overseas?
- Copies of all crucial travel documents: passports, visas, immunization records, cruise documents, travel reservations, etc. You can take pictures of these items with your phone, but we like having hard copies.
- Travel insurance documents: Look for a travel insurance plan with benefits for some of the most common honeymoon mishaps, such as lost luggage, trip delays, trip cancellation/interruption and medical emergencies.
- Emergency contact information: On a card in your wallet, or in some other format that’s easy for people to find, write down how to contact your family, as well as useful numbers like your credit-card provider and the nearest American embassy (dial +1 202-501-4444 from anywhere overseas).
- Prescription medications and a copy of the prescription
- At least one change of clothes
- Basic toiletries (face wash, toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant)
- Cell phone and charger
- E-reader and charger, or books and magazines
- A quality camera: Your wedding photos are stunning, so don’t settle for fuzzy phone photos on your honeymoon.
- Wedding thank-you notes: The airport boarding area is a great place to get these done.
Honeymoon Packing List: Clothing
Wherever you’re headed on your honeymoon, aim to pack clothes and shoes that are both comfortable and chic. This means travel shoes that can dress up or down, and dresses that can be worn on the plane or to a five-star restaurant.
- For him:
- Button-down shirts
- Blazer or sport coat
- One pair of dressy pants
- Dressy (but still comfortable) shoes
- For her:
- At least one dressy outfit for dining with matching sweater/shawl
- At least one nice top
- Nice pants or capris
- One pair of heels or dressy flats
- A few pieces of inexpensive jewelry: You may want to leave your engagement ring at home, if it will attract thieves’ attention
- For you both:
- 1-2 bathing suits
- At least one sweatshirt or light jacket for chilly nights (or days)
- Rain jacket
- Cold-weather outerwear, if needed
- One pair flip-flops or sandals
- One pair walking shoes
- Prescription or reading glasses
Honeymoon Packing List: Gear, Safety and Toiletries
No one wants a honeymoon marred by sickness or sunburn, but these things happen. Prepare for every eventuality by packing first-aid and safety gear.
- Backpack or beach bag for excursions
- Power outlet adapter, if you're traveling abroad
- Sunblock and sunburn treatment
- SPF 15 lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Face and body lotion
- Ear plugs
- Comb and brush
- Hair products
- Shower cap
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Contact lenses and solution
- Sanitary pads or tampons
- Nail file and clippers
- Small first aid kit with Band-Aids and antibiotic ointment
- Baby wipes for quick cleanup
- Travel packs of tissues
- Pain reliever
- Cold medication
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Anti-nausea medication
- Sleep aid
- Hand sanitizer
- Travel clothesline
- Small flashlight
- Pocketknife or multi-tool (remember to stash this in your checked luggage)
Our last tip for your honeymoon packing checklist? Leave your work, financial and relationship stresses at home. You only get to enjoy one honeymoon together, so don’t let conflict spoil your vacation. Travel happy!